Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Riff

Riffi Berbers are supposed to be some of the toughest people in Morocco, but in my trip to the North of Morocco, I'm pretty sure I didn't run across any of them. Instead we saw people with a lot of peace on their faces. People who had less on their minds or just a more ordered way of keeping those things in stock. Rabati people are hardworking stress machines. Up there near Tangier, mountains and skies and sea all mix for a great melange of landscapes.

Ceuta was a shock of infrastructure and order, the lack of which I had become surprisingly quickly accustomed to. The border control was odd since there was roughly 200 meters of no-man's-land. Also, thanks to our procrastination, the authorities were quite skeptical of our reasons of staying. We never took the ferry up to the mainland, because of the pricing. But we did see great and beautiful things on the bus rides from Tangier-Ceuta and Ceuta-Tetouan. The clouds were trying to claim their spot on the maps and steal a piece of history.

Taxi drivers were always a source of entertainment this weekend, speaking Spanish, English, Arabic, and of course French. Tetouan's beach town, Martil, is one of the best known beaches in all of Morocco and even on that cloudy Sunday, was impressive. We crossed two camels on the beach and their tenant.

Turkey Day is tomorrow. I thought I'd be in Agadir on the beach, but it looks like I will, in fact, celebrate with friends and colleagues in Hay Riad, Rabat. Saturday is the Eid Al Adha, Festival of Sacrifice to honor Abraham's sacrifice of his son. I hadn't made the connection between the two holidays until just yesterday in a conference call with friends back home. The holiday will pass nicely, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment